P.O. Box 750 Kenai, AK 99611
Email: [email protected]
is tomorrows tragedy
but it doesn't
have to be
Peninsula Spay/Neuter Fund
IN SIX YEARS ONE FEMALE AND HER OFFSPRING CAN PRODUCE 67,000 PUPPIES.
In SEVEN YEARS ONE FEMALE AND HER YOUNG CAN PRODUCE 420,000 CATS.
Save lives, get your dog and/or cat spayed or neutered.
If you need help with the cost call us at 690-2723.
PENINSULA SPAY/NEUTER FUND
About Spaying & Neutering
1. My pet should have one litter before she is spayed.....
There is no basis for this claim. Spaying before the first heat can eliminate a number of infections and cancers, as well as prevent unwanted births.
2. We always find homes for kittens.....
Meanwhile, millions of adult cats will die simply because no one found them a home. Often a home is only temporary. Once they start to grow up they are often given up or abandoned.
3. It costs too much money.....
Puppies and kittens cost money too, especially when you cannot find homes. And if the female has difficulty with her pregnancy her life will be in danger and require expensive surgery.
4. My pet is so special there should be more like her....
There is no guarantee that a puppy or kitten will be just like its parents. Your local shelter has many special pets that only have a few days to live. Pick one who is already wonderful!
5. Neutering or spaying my pet will make it fat and lazy....
Too much food and too little exercise makes any animal fat and lazy.
6. We don't need to neuter males because they aren't the ones having litters....
In one month, a male dog can easily impregnate 15 females, resulting in as many as 90 puppies!
The Miracle of Life
- Some people wait to sterilize their pets so that their children can witness the "miracle of birth".
- Witnessing the miracle of birth is only one part of the picture.
- Teaching compassion for homeless animals and a lifelong commitment to owning a pet are lessons which will benefit your children their whole lives.
- Observing wildlife in the spring is a better way to witness the miracle of birth.
- Taking your children to the Animal Shelter will show them why it is important to be responsible. . . all of the animals there need a home.
The Reality IS........
TOO MANY ANIMALS, NOT ENOUGH HOMES
Some "Pawsitive" Facts
- Sterilized animals are less likely to bite. The majority of animals that bite people have not been spayed or neutered.
- Altered animals can live longer, healthier lives. Reproductive cancers and infections are reduced or eliminated.
- Neutered cats are less likely to mark their territory by spraying.
- Animals that have been spayed or neutered are less likely to roam, run away or get into fights.
- And best of all there will be fewer homeless animals!